Thursday, May 13, 2010

Happy Ascension Day!

So, it's a holiday today in Fribourg. I slept almost twelve hours. HOPEFULLY that gets me caught up with jet lag. We'll see. Yesterday was pretty uneventful. I wandered around town a little bit after work, bought myself edibles so I could eat today, and tried to stay warm. It's been pretty chilly and rainy here the past two days.

One thing interesting about Switzerland. Apparently they vote on stuff ALL THE TIME. It's pretty random stuff, too. For instance, store closing/opening times. Here, grocery stores open around 8am and close at 7pm. This works well with the work-day, considering I start somewhere between 7:30 and 9 and go until 5:30 or so? Then I have to get back, which takes about thirty minutes, leaving me an hour (ish) to grab foodstuffs. Yesterday I got home early, so it wasn't a huge deal, until I realized I'd forgotten to grab myself food for dinner at 6:45. I ran to the grocery store, found everything overwhelming, and ended up just walking out. I then stopped at a kebab/pizza place and ordered pizza (I don't understand what everything is in French, so ordering a kebab was too much for me, as it is I just got a cheese pizza). I now have 5 slices of pizza sitting in a box in Markus' fridge, alongside the stuff I got to make myself food at some point today.

My night was pretty uneventful. I ended up taking a shower at like 8:30 and then just slumming it for the night.

Hokay, time to wander aimlessly around Fribourg. I should probably grab a map to make sure I don't get lost. Meh. We'll see.

For now, a few more pictures:


The massive beer I got on Tuesday night while out for pizza with the grad students. 6dL = a lot of beer. It was tasty, though.
The train station.
I have a few more of these on my camera right now, but this is part of my walk to the train station.

No comments:

Post a Comment