Sunday, May 30, 2010

Laundry + Churros = ???

I got up early this morning to get my laundry done, but of the two washers my building has, I only understand how to use one of them, and it was done running. HOWEVER, the way my apartment place does laundry, I could not just move the clothes to the nearest clean space. In fact, the washer is locked until whatever yutz is using it decides to move his/her laundry to the dryer. I am terribly frustrated.

The sad thing is, I am lucky. While laundry costs me about 2.50 CHF for the washer and 2.90 CHF for the dryer, I can do laundry whenever I want. Most of my coworkers only have laundry access during certain times of the day on a certain day of the week. Gina, for instance, gets to do laundry from 7pm Thursday night to 6pm Friday night every other week. JD and Julie get to do laundry starting at 6:30 on Saturday mornings, and Brian and Markus have laundry access from 7a - 10a on Tuesday mornings (they might get to go a little later, I'm not sure).

I believe this is something particular to Fribourg. Possibly Switzerland. It's weird, though, and people just kind of accept it. Gina just usually has long nights every other week, Markus and Brian cheat and start at 6a and one or both of them just shows up a little late to work, and JD and Julie have just gotten used to early Saturday mornings.

I just thought that was interesting, and in my current frustrated/relaxed state I would share it. It's been raining pretty hardcore here since late last night (on and off, but when it does rain, it's a pretty hefty downpour). As such, I think today I am going to be curling up with a book and/or watching/rewatching movies. I might go for a run in the rain later, too.

Last week was pretty uneventful. Mostly just work, bumming around my apartment, or hanging out with my co-workers. Yesterday was a street fair. They shut down the main boulevard on Friday night (I ended up getting off the bus and walking home because the traffic was so bad), and tents were set up all along with various items available for purchase. This includes, but is not limited to churros, Thai food, beer, liquor, strawberries, crepes, shoes for the low low price of 89 CHF, dream catchers (what? seriously?), scarves, bags, you name it. There were a few rides for the little ones (the chair spinny thing, a moonwalk, the octopus thinger, etc...), and supposedly somewhere there was live music.

It's a bar on a double decker bus. I was amused.

Crepes? Churros? All other sorts of unhealthy food? Switzerland fairs are no different than those we have in 'Murrica. However, there were no morbidly obese people in sight, and I didn't see any deep-fried twinkies. So maybe a li'l different...


Moonwalk. That's right, it's called a moonwalk - not a moonbounce or those bouncy blow-up things.

I met up with Brian and Frosty at the street fair, and we ended up wandering down to watch middle school boys play soccer while the two of them sipped on beer. It was entertaining. Kids here are intense about their soccer (err...football). Every time a kid made a goal, he would be ambushed by his teammates in the corner. Amusing. I then went for a walk around the dam with Frosty (Brian had to do work).

The dam:

Holy ship! It's a mini cooper! :)

Update: apparently I am dumb. I got fed up and tried using my key to open the washer I like to use, and it WORKED! I also DID NOT GET CHARGED! I deem today a success. Time go back to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment